So with my first tactical squad complete and the second one on the way (pics to come soon) I decided to take an evening off and have a go at their bases.
I love scenic bases, they are such a simple idea yet they add so much to add model it’s a no brianer to have some in every army. For my Empire army I managed to do a few bits here and there on a couple of bases, mainly characters or my centre unit of Demi Gryph riders but everything was a simple mix of sand and flock. So with a new army I’m all in and decided that I want to have every model in my army to have some form of scenic base
I would LOVE to have ever model on a resin/pre cast base and there are so many great companies out there that do them but right now that’s not an option due to cost. I do intend to look at splashing out on a few maybe in the future but right now I’m on a budget and that’s going to dictate a lot of what I do.
Theres a couple of things to think about when basing which I’ve learnt from experience. The first is have a theme and stick to it, kinda like a cohesive army your bases need to tie together otherwise they can separate the models you have spent a long time trying to bring together. The second is colour balance. Getting a balance between the base and the model will not only help the model stand out but will also allow the bases to get some recognition.
Here is a great article from Ron at From the Warp that goes into a lot more detail – Link
I’m going for a Red Planet theme for my bases, with a little extra added in which will tie into the background of my chapter and specifically the second company which I am working on at the moment.
Making the bases is pretty simple. I used milliputt to fill in the pre cut slots and to form an uneven surface for some realism, this was followed with adding on any extra details like pipes and grating that I wanted before allowing time for the milliputt to start to go off. The final stage was to then add on the surface texture which was made from a layer of PVA glue applied to the exposed areas and then a mixture of course and fine sand spread over the top and any excess knocked off. Here’s the results…..
Bases- The completed group
Bases – Close ups
I really like the way that everything came out in the end and to me they tie together nicely but still remain individual enough to draw the eye.
Here are a few sneak peaks at the finished bases with colour and weathering applied.
Bases – Finished
Once the second tactical squad is finished I’m going to do a show cases which will display all of the bases to their full glory.
thanks for reading