It’s been a little while since my last post, but here’s the next part of the dragon commission.
Completing the base was actually a key part of the process in getting this piece to fit together.
In the first post you can see that the dragon itself doesn’t have any claws or feet to speak of as they have been chopped off at some point in the past, leaving me with two choices of buy parts or build. The reason the base is key is that the main rock upright is the anchor point for the dragon itself and usually it’s where the models feet attach. I had to find a work around to be able to secure the model as well as allow me to secure the feet.
I decided to build the feet directly on to the upright and run pins right through the centre, allowing me to anchor into the base securely, work on the shaping and detail and then be able to sit the dragon in place when it’s painted.
Initial fitting and pinning
Forming the claws and feet
Closer view of the claws
I used the feet from the Golden Griffon of the War Altar of Sigmar as a foundation, then once I was happy with the position I used green stuff and a sculpting tool to build up the claws and the rest of the foot to the right proportions. Once done and cured I smoothed off the sculpting with my dremmel and finished off with a thinned down coat of liquid green stuff for a clean finish.
The next part was finding a way to cover the join between the dragon and the base as seamlessly as possible. I opted for a collar on the end of each leg, shaped as closely to the style of the armour as possible, covering the join and when glued it would act as a strengthener as well. I had originally planned to use plasti-card but had trouble getting it to sit right and after some tinkering I ended up using an old brush cover cut to shape and split up the back which allowed some flexibility when seating it in.
Next, the front claws. Again the foundation was taken from the War Altar Griffon, this time it’s hand and then some further sculpting work was done to give claws and join it all in with the rest of the model.
Both claws completed
Closer look at the joints on the claw
Finally, the wings. This was the easiest part of the build as I only had to clean out their original mounts and add a couple of pins to each wing to ensure stability and strength. did add in some green stuff to fill up the join but I have separated them from the body for now so I can get a clean paint job done on them.
All in all I’m really happy with the sculpting work and the overall look of what I’ve created. Right now I’m down to finishing touches and preparing for paint.
Hope you’ve enjoyed following this so far!
Previous post – The base
Next Post – Last step before paint